Thursday, February 14, 2008

Observations from "a day on the hill"

I recently spent the day "on the hill" after watching my bill being navigated thru an early morning subcommittee meeting. Being a political junkie, I thought I would follow the whole day process and attend every committee meeting I could schedule in. Here are my thoughts...



Legislators really do care what the citizens think, so I guess it surprises my why more people don't get involved in the process.



I really didn't see too big of a difference between Dem and GOP thought processes. I guess committee meetings are thankfully more about work then about dark agendas (I have revised my opinion on this since the post was written. Committees meetings have definitely turned dark).



I especially liked Rep. Fraley's way of handling his Transportation committee. Quick and to the point.



There are way too many unfunded mandate bills for my taste. Why can't there be a committee to delete unproductive restrictions on people and local governments instead of just adding more for the sake of adding more.



Lobbyists are people too. I met the greatest guy from Johnson City who had been one of the old guard legislators while sitting in the "lobby" waiting for the next committee to start. Just a great guy still wanting to make a difference. I guess the true love of the political process never leaves you. How refreshing.

No comments: