Friday, August 15, 2008

God and Tolstoy

I have been hitting our local library lately to check out some historical video/dvd nuggets. The most recent one was War and Peace, starring the darling Audrey Hepburn and a young, dorky Henry Fonda. This brilliant epic reminded me of a Gone with the Wind or a Doctor Zhivago type storytelling with one notable exception...War and Peace was an unashamedly Christian movie. In fact, so much so, that I feared the ACLU or Diversity police would storm my house and rip the dvd out of my machine and fine me for watching it.

And then I laughed, this is America isn't it? That kind of thing could never happen here, could it?

Then I read the Tennessean today and find that Wilson County has bowed to the athesists and the ACLU and allowed discounts for all believers and non believers for their "God and Country" fair. There was even a quote from the ACLU saying they don't believe that giving discounts to people with Church bulletins is legal. What the heck?!

But I digress. War and Peace was such a pleasure to watch. It goes thru the whole drama of life. A life that is good and a life that survives great suffering and hardship and then becoming a life that is good again. Their belief in God during each segment of this cycle was inspirational to say the least. I just wish we had more blockbuster movies like that on the market today. But I fear that those days may be over unless we grow some cajones and start challenging the challengers.

Carpe Diem!

No comments: