Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Rest of the Story

By now everyone (and that includes the rest of the country) has read the shenanigans of this past Tuesday at our state capitol. You really can't make this stuff up, truth is much stranger than fiction.

I came in a little later than planned on Tuesday, missed the GOP legislative breakfast, and ended up sitting in the outer chamber tv lounge next to these darling retired fire chiefs from east tennessee. They said they were there for Rep. Kent Williams which really didn't mean anything to me at the time except that it assured me we were on the same rooting bench. These guys were a hoot and we spent the morning enjoying conservation and dead-on similiar viewpoints. I will take hard-a$$ firefighters any day of the week to spend time with, especially on a day like Tuesday.

Rep. Williams came by several times to chat with them and I let him have my seat as I went to grab a drink and chat with Judd and a few others as we waited for the noon hour elections. It was like old home week, everyone was there. I met and spent some time with Linda Buckles, TNFRW Area 1 Vice President from Kingsport. What a neat woman. I also had the pleasure to chat politics with Vance Cheek and later the Shipley boys who were there to watch their dad get sworn in.

But back to the Williams saga, I digress. I sat back down with the fire chiefs and Red asked me if I wanted to know what was going to go down in the house elections. You know my answer, but after he told me I laughed real hard. Yea right. Minutes later, the fun began. Nominations were supposed to be closed, Naifeh didn't recognize a second, we had to go into Roberts Rules which took several minutes, then the Recess issue occured, Terri Lynn Weaver hit the wrong button and we were left waiting for another 30 minutes. Not a good sign. Stress was running high at this point, but I really wasn't that concerned, Jason and the team had it covered.

House gets back in session, Red gives me the signal. I watch drop-jawed as Gary Odom (he sooo reminds me of our city attorney Bill Killian) nominates Kent Williams, all Dems vote Williams, all GOPs vote Mumpower, last man called...Williams votes for...Williams. Hail to the Chief. All hell breaks loose. Red smiles.

The rest of the day is a blur, Lois Deberry(D)beats Beth Harwell(R) for Pro Tem by one vote...Williams. House Republican majority is overthrown by one man, a two year incumbent from Carter County, and a brilliant maneuver by the minority party. It took us 149 years to get here and it only took one man to sell his soul to bring it down. The devil is a crafty beast indeed.

I stayed as long as I could, then headed back to my room to regroup. We had a "victory" party at 4:30pm over at the Hermitage and I was going to meet Bob over there for a powwow before tomorrows meeting with Commissioner Whitaker. Red invited me over to Kent's "victory" party, but I really had no stomach for it. I am glad I missed the call.

The party at the Hermitage was an interesting one, we were all in one big shock wave. It took a great speech by Ron Ramsey, our fearless Lt.Gov, to get our heads back on and thinking rationally. He is such an asset to the state. He also gave his "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP" plaque to Jason in a very touching and humorous tribute.

Great to see and chat with Monty Lankford, Mike Niederhauser and Steve Heath. You almost become like family when you see them on the campaign trail all year, so it is always good to reconnect. Got to say hello to Sam Harper who I haven't seen in forever, glad to hear he is going to start writing again. At the end of the night, was privy to a great discussion with Colby and Mike about strategic politics on a local level. Gained some very good insight. The guy is good and sincere in his passion. I like him.

So that story ends and another one begins. Constitutional officer election goes without a hitch. The legislative year has now begun.

Clarification: A reader made a very valid comment. My reference to the 149 years dealt with a Republican leadership in both Senate and House. Technically, we have that now. No disrespect intended for Speaker Jenkins who was the first Republican Speaker since reconstruction back in the late 60's (1969 I believe).

2 comments:

Rob Huddleston said...

Iva -

Great post!

Cheers,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Iva,
Great reading but your account of history is a little spotty.

The Tennessee House was evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats as recently as 1969 and a Democrat crossed over party lines to elect Bill Jenkins as House Speaker.

GOP whining has now reached the point of diminishing returns.