Friday, October 3, 2008

Small Victories

As of this Wednesday, I am officially a member of the Monteagle Fire Department. Out of all my lifetime achievements, I think this one is up there in my top 5.

Why? I guess I have always appreciated the things that came hardest for me. The good grades from my dickens of a 4th grade teacher, the 3 year unprecedented win for the Homecoming Spirit Trophy in college, the near mob riot I averted at a New Jersey show during my early career days, juggling first time motherhood and a dying mother...heck the list just goes on.

But this particular challenge was a personal one. I am claustrophobic. Not to a level that debilitates me, but certainly one that causes me pause. Initially, I took the 60 hour basic firefighter training class to learn more about the needs of first responders. I really never intended on getting "physical" with it. But my instructor was one of those people who pushed you to a higher level. He reminded me of my dang 4th grade teacher. So I got "physical" and did things that really pushed me into uncomfortable levels of my claustrophobic condition. But you know, I did it and I survived it. Now that is a feeling of real accomplishment.



But the story doesn't end here. I was unable to join my local volunteer fire department because of my volatile relationship with the thug Mayor of my hometown. He told the fire chief in no uncertain terms that I would not be allowed on that department. It is no wonder we are millions in the hole for a failed infrastructure. The short sightedness of this man is unbelievable.

So 9 months later, while the fellow was out of town on vacation, I asked the City Council if there was any problem with me joining the VOLUNTEER fire department. As snickers erupted from both the council and the audience, the decision was verified and I finally was able to hang up my gear on a wall with my name on it. Small Victories are sometimes the sweetest of all.

No comments: