Thursday, November 20, 2008

Volkswagen

I and about 10,000 of my neighbors attended the Volkswagen professional and supplier job fair at the Chattanooga Convention Center today. I haven't seen so many well dressed men and women in one building since, heck, I don't know when.

Since I am your classic overachiever, and I don't have a "real job", I thought I would get there about 45 minutes before the event started and check out the scene. I had already registered my info online along with my resume, so this visit was just a look-see. Plus, it doesn't hurt to put in face-time at these things and hand over another physical copy of my resume.

I am glad I went, and I am certainly glad I went early. There was already a line when I arrived. Most everyone it seemed had not done all the early leg work that I had done, so their line was longer. I wanted to be in the first group to go into the 30 minute informational meeting where the company brass put on their dog and pony show. I was able to get 5th row center, with a great view of the speaker and the slideshow.

Volkswagen didn't disappoint me. Their visions are precise and forward looking. Their goals concrete and their methods revolved around the "Volkswagen way". German's are notorious for being very functional and literal (I was married to one), which I really do appreciate, but I also saw a visionary side that really appealed to me. In today's global marketplace, we all need to be rethinking and retooling our ways of doing business if we are going to survive this current economic crisis. Volkswagen is solidly on that track.

As for my future career with Volkswagen, who the heck knows. I am comfortable knowing that I have followed the required steps and my resume is in their hands. You just can't pass up that kind of opportunity. Volkswagen is a bright, shiny bulb in a dark dismal room called America. Go Chattanooga!!!

No comments: