Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Faith

For all my best intentions, I have usually been a curmudgeon around the holidays. The travel, the forced expectations, the "not getting work done" attitude that permeates the air from mid November to mid January. All of it used to create heartburn and unhappiness so I just endured the season and embraced the positives as best I could. My children never knew this and I kept it from them pretty well. But I think on some level they felt the uneasiness.

This year is a different ballgame and I am really enjoying the change. And yes, my newly found Faith is the reason for this new attitude. January 13th, 2008 I "surrendered" to the good Lord above. I fell to my knees and I surrendered to him my pain, my questions, my heart and my soul. I surrendered everything and I finally found the freedom I had searched for my entire life. Now that is irony at its best.

So this holiday season, I am thankful for the fresh outlook on life God has given me.

I am thankful for the people in my life

I am thankful for the church that fills me up

I am thankful that my children have turned out so well against the greatest of odds

I am thankful for the kindness in people's souls who reach out to others

I am thankful for the warriors who protect us

I am thankful for the public servants who govern with their honor and ethics still intact

I am thankful for the business owners who treat their employees with respect and dignity

I am thankful for employees who give business owners a full days work and a job well done

I am thankful for the creatives who give us so many things to think about

I am thankful for the environmentalists who can balance public good and public use

And finally, I am thankful for the people with backbone and gumption for a good cause. They are my heroes in life.

Sometimes it just takes Faith to see all of this clearly. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have experienced surrender, Iva! To feel God's hand reach down and truly lift that shrowd of whatever it is that is too heavy for you in life is an amazing experience, and once you have met with this peace, it remains forever.

Anyone trying to surrender and not receiving the same relief is having this outcome because there is a lesson they have not yet learned, a wound they have not yet healed, or a redirection in life they have avoided taking, but should. Once they have aligned with God's will, surrender is a wonderful experience that is hard to describe and probably a bit different for everyone.
Peace,
~ Lisa Montgomery

Anonymous said...

+1 Michelle. I'm thankful for your spirit and willingness to fight the good fight - and I'm really glad Our Lord is your General.

Alexis