Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lincoln Davis

One of the hardest things about being involved in the political system is having to choose sides. When you go to war for your country, it is important that you believe that your opponent is 100% wrong and you are 100% right...especially if you are going to have to kill them. When you go to war in politics, you are taught to believe the very same thing...especially if you have to go for the throat. Here lies my dilemma. I believe in going to war for just causes, but politically, I am just a doggone borderline pacifist. Ruining someone for the sake of winning a campaign is not something that I can do...especially if I like them.

I like Congressman Lincoln Davis. He is a conservative fellow brought up right with strong, solid foundations. He just happens to be a Democrat. I like his staff, they are one of the best ones in the entire United States. They return phone calls and they get stuff done. I generally like how Lincoln thinks, he has gone off the cracker a couple of times, but somehow he always manages to return to the basics and follow the needs and values of his constituents. That is exactly the kind of fella we need in Congress. My problem has always been his wacky, liberal leadership team.

Today, Lincoln came to the Grundy Rotary meeting. His explanation on the auto bridge loan was dead-on worthy of an attaboy. His focus was the 123 supply companies (and multi thousands of jobs) that would go out of business in his district if the Big 3 went thru bankruptcy. As the old saying goes...all politics are local. That explanation hit home.

I've known Lincoln since Spring '03 when we attended a dinner at the Icelandic Embassy in DC right after his election. Politics is a small world and I have learned to appreciate Lincoln as a person. And that will make it hard in 2010 if he decides to run for Governor. He is a good man.

So I guess the moral of the story is...don't ever get to know your opponent in war.

No comments: