Monday, December 1, 2008

Snow

Growing up in Chicago, I have great snow memories of sledding, snowball fights, building snowmen and snow days. As an adult, I hated the snow. It was cold and wet, hard to drive in, a pain in the tail to shovel, it got dirty and yucky after the first day, I had to wear ugly boots and my clothes were worn for warmth not style most of the time, winter and snow seemed to last forever, and did I mention it was cold and wet?!

But snow here in the mountains of Tennessee is a different ballgame. Snow is peaceful and wondrous here in the woods. It makes every tree limb look like it was a part of a decorated winter wonderland. It is pretty snow, just like the first one of the season in Chicago. It is happy snow. And because we are on mountain time, snow adds a whole other dimension to the concept. Snow here will close schools, close businesses and keep people close to home.

I love the snow here because it is so rare and so special. Hmmm, that sounds like an object lesson to me.

No comments: