Sunday, February 8, 2009

God's Little Nudges

As mentioned in previous posts, I am a newly "surrendered" Christian (Jan. 13 08). My path towards awareness of His plan for me since then has been a very enlightening one. What this surrender has done for me is to make me sit back quietly and listen. It is getting easier and easier to do so. And usually, He makes His point in the must subtle of ways because He doesn't need a hammer on my head anymore to get my attention. It's kinda cool.

Today, was one of those days. Every Sunday during the service, our children's ministry leader will lead the children in a "life lesson for the day" segment before they head off to Sunday School. We get to listen. Usually, Linda will tell a personal story from her week's events and weave it into a life lesson point. Today she gave me a life lesson point.

Yesterday, I was cruising around on a beautiful day, feeling alive and full of good spirit. On every corner around town were the Shriners. Typically, I begrudgingly give to these efforts but I truly hate the concept of "highway robbery". Yesterday was one of those days that I just didn't give. I even made a point of avoiding them. What do they really do for our people here in the community. Yes, I thought that and said that out loud to my friend riding with me.

Yep, wouldn't you know it, Linda's lesson to the kids today wove in her story of giving to Shriners and other "parking lot" type efforts even if you question their motives (she went even further with the story and talked about helping others in so many little ways). She remembered when her nephew was born with a club foot and the Shriners helped his family with the surgery because they didn't have the money to do so. He is 17 now and will be joining the military as soon as he turns 18 so that he can proudly serve his country. No hammer necessary here, but boy it felt like one.

Yes God, I am listening. Thanks for the nudge.

No comments: