Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl 2009

Just like the pleasure I get from the pomp and circumstance of our Inauguration process, I enjoy all the fun surrounding our Super Bowl. Unlike the Inauguration, I rarely care who is playing in the actual game. I like the get-togethers, the betting pools, the retrospectives and player background commentary, the surreal performances that come out of close games and finally and most importantly, I LOVE the commercials!

This year was a little disappointing. I was wondering how the economy was going to affect the commercials this year and I got my answer. The big money stuff didn't play well in my mind, I don't think our marketers have caught up with the economy change yet. People are hurting and just like Obama said about us "clinging to our guns and bibles" during hard times, more people are wanting to see hope and inspiration not rich people still living rich. The Super Bowl is a mass media product and the majority of people in the US are just in a different frame of mind this year, no matter what their station in life.

That is why I have to pick this commercial as one of my favorites. When things get tough, people reevaluate priorities and life in general. I just really got a big kick out of this one (The E-trade commercial came in a close second), the koala bit was just sooo over the top.

No comments: