Monday, February 2, 2009

Golf Shopping Network

If politics could pay the bills, I would be one happy camper. But it doesn't. Plus, I am long past those days of selling my soul for a dollar, so sometimes it is hard to make a living in my profession. Therefore, I have to invest time and effort into other endeavors to make ends meet.

This past weekend, I took a gig working at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando. A fellow conservative business associate of mine owns a marketing company that became involved with the new Golf Shopping Network. Rich called on me and a few other of his associates to come to the PGA convention to find simple, cool golf products that would be perfect for the upcoming weekly show. In my younger years, I used to do PR for a touring/production company that had a national TV show so the gig definitely intrigued me enough to leave for the long weekend and go check it out.

I flew in not knowing what to expect. Rich said just get there and he would take care of the rest. Being a control freak, that was a big jump for me, but heck since surrendering my life to the good Lord above, I have rarely been disappointed in the wisdom of His ways. I wasn't disappointed this time either. In fact, I had a great weekend! The people associated with the show were just a pleasure to work with, they were all professionals with an amazing sense of humor...we even had a darling "hippie" who was a conservative too. I didn't know there were any out there!

The whole experience reminded me how important it is to surround yourself with ethical, talented people in any business endeavor. It does make a difference. I just wish politics operated this way too. Maybe those of us who care, will make it happen one day.

The PGA show itself was a HOOT! I used to date a Pro Golfer in my younger years and let me tell you, I wouldn't want to marry one but they sure are fun and full of life. The merchandise and cool golf gadgets were all a sight to behold. Everyone is being hurt by the economy, especially golf clubs, but I noticed a certain guarded optimism that you don't see in other industries.

I like the GSN concept because it addresses the economy situation. Everyone is going to have to rethink and retool their marketing strategies. Smart, savvy business people don't cut marketing efforts they just find ways to get more bang for their buck. The fact of the matter is, media in general is going to have to cut their rates just like retailers (although we went to Downtown Disney Saturday night and the prices were still ridiculous, the Mouse is going to have to get real very soon, I didn't see alot of people buying). GSN is definitely on the cutting edge of this necessary trend.

I am so very glad I got to see a new, fresh concept coming out of all this economy mess. It just shows that Free Market principles are alive and well in America...at least in the conservative realms of this country! Can we all say, Amen!

No comments: